Friday, September 5, 2008

The Poor Know Times are Tough

I didn't watch all of John McCain's speech Thursday night. Greater minds than mine will decide if he convinced the American public that the best people to clean up the mess Republicans have left this country in are....Republicans! In the meantime,, as people slog their way out of St. Paul and prepared for the 60 day fight to come, I've been observing how America's slumping economy is hurting people on the ground. It isn't pretty.

New York City is supposed to be in better shape than the rest of the country as far as economic health goes. The mortgage mess has hurt, but not as badly, and city government prepared for the downturn by trimming its sails a bit. Yet twice during the past month, I've seen evidence with my own eyes that people, just plain folks, are struggling.

I wait for the bus after work on a midtown Manhattan corner. Usually the wait is about ten minutes. Three weeks ago, I saw a couple who looked like typical New Yorkers walk up to a box of fast food chicken left on top of a mound of garbage. I didn't give it a second thought until I saw them empty the box's contents into a bag they were carrying. Now maybe they were collecting scraps for a family pet. I didn't think so at the time, but that's certainly possible. But then they got on the same bus I was riding, and didn't have money for either fare (they ended up riding for free). As they got off the bus in front of a fast food place, they began looking through the mound of garbage bags sitting outside. Keep in mind this couple didn't look like the typical "down and out" New Yorkers. They looked just like you and me.

Then, night before last, I saw an elderly woman at the same bus stop. This lady was dressed well enough to be mistaken for one of those Park Ave. matrons you read about in magazines. She was digging through a plastic bag full of garbage from a nearby restaurant. I realized after a minute she was collecting rolls that had just been discarded. Again, maybe she was going to feed pigeons the following morning. But then, after walking halfway down the block, she returned. She dug into a different garbage bag, and retrieved some other items, which I couldn't see. Then she walked to the corner, and began rummaging through the garbage can there before heading out of my sight.

After witnessing these two incidents, I've concluded there are more people living at the margins in our society than any politician would care to admit. I'm not sure there's any solution to the problem of hunger at a political convention. Speeches and applause don't feed anyone.

I wonder how those people I saw are feeding themselves today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking through my photos for one I have of an old woman in a mink coat picking thru the garbage across from the newly renovated/rebuilt Heart Building.
To a point is why local gov't is not pitching in and food pantries are so overwhelmed. This city has a surplus, yet cutting back on services.

Anonymous said...

I am 64 years of age, and up until a year ago, I was a caregiver for my mom, who was diagnosed with Dementia. Now she has passed away, but prior to her demise, I witness many areas of neglect on the part of City agencies, claiming to be responsible for her care. I had about twenty-some-odd Home Attendants, who were, by no means, qualified to care for human beings. The caring agency tried to get every bit of my mom's remaining revenue. This story can be longer, but I will stop at this point.
Max(ine)

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I want you to do some stories and/or inquiries on the out-populated Federal Prison System of Blacks and Brown. And, the "Slave Labor" that these people are forced to do.
Check out Ted Shaw of Columbia University School of Law. He is very informed.
Max(ine)