Monday, August 11, 2008

Two Icons Gone

It's hard to remember a time when two giants in the fields passed away so close together. Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes were bound together by a film both worked on recently. They also broke the bounds of their respective art forms, and will be missed by lovers of music and comedy everywhere.

There were rumors about Bernie Mac going back at least a week. His publicist angrily denied reports of his death. By the end of last week, however, the severity of his illness became public, and on Saturday he was taken from us. His accomplishments are many, but most of all, when it was all said and done, he was a family man. Perhaps more than the "Original Kings of Comedy", more than "The Bernie Mac Show'", more than "Ocean's Eleven", he'd want to be remembered as that.
Barack Obama may have criticized him for his expletive laden act at a fundraiser recently, but wasn't he talking about the Bernie Macs of the world when he talked about black men and responsibility?

Isaac Hayes may be remembered by older folks for "Shaft", and by young people for Chef on "South Park", but my remembrance of him goes back further. I was one of those who read and memorized the label of just about every record I owned as a kid. It was there I first saw the names Issac Hayes and David Porter, on the writing credit for "Hold on, I'm Coming". Later, I remember sitting in my brother's living room and listening to his epic rendition of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" from the "Hot Buttered Soul" album.

Issac Hayes voice created a particular atmosphere, as did his instrumental music. Anyone who lived through the so-called 'Blaxploitation" era knows the first few guitar phrases of "Shaft". In addition, Issac Hayes worked in radio, my chose field. I met him once, at an industry gathering, and he came across as warm as his voice.

America will miss both Bernie Mac and Issac Hayes. May we never lose two so gifted so close again.

No comments: